There are several ways of canvassing: either from your base in Brussels or by going to meet your future foreign clients right on the ground; either on your own or by getting involved in the group canvassing events we organise.
We will support you in all your canvassing efforts. We will provide you with information and advice and put you in direct touch with public and private stakeholders who are key for the success of your export project.
Many of these approaches result in financial export subsidies being awarded.
Canvassing close to home
Growing your web presence using a multilingual site tailored to your various target groups allows foreign companies interested in your business to contact you directly. 40% of Belgian companies which export will be approached in this way.
Producing leaflets, catalogues or films is useful for outlining your business, references, products or services to your foreign contacts. This promotional material will prove invaluable during canvassing trips or at international trade fairs and exhibitions.
Meet leading players in Brussels who will inform you about the major projects underway in their countries or the huge potential of certain sectors at our themed and geographic meetings.
The invitations to buyers organised in Brussels or elsewhere in Belgium provide you with the opportunity to get to know the various departments of both public and private international agencies and to get in touch with their decision-makers.
Canvassing on the ground
Our contact days take you to nearby markets for just one day to meet professionals working in your business sector:
- At the international audio-visual content market in Cannes, at the headquarters of a major European purchasing co-operative for the hotel sector in Barcelona, at the Rotterdam film festival, at the trade fair for new printing and information broadcasting technologies in Dusseldorf, etc.
Your company's presence at the group stands that we organise at international trade fairs and exhibitions will enable you to benefit from the logistical assistance and services of our sector managers and economic and commercial attachés.
Sector-based or multi-sector trade missions will enable you to meet the local authorities, visit institutions that are attractive to your business and put you in touch with trade partners selected according to your business sector.
Brussels Invest & Export works with its economic and commercial attachés abroad to organise joint missions, while designing a tailor-made programme for each exporter.
Taking part in a trade mission means positioning oneself as a businessman or –woman. It is also a way of taking advantage of doors having been opened to the appropriate interlocutors.
Ten reasons for not prospecting alone!
1. Economies of scale: you take advantage of shared logistics and reduced costs (transport, hotel, meeting rooms).
2. Advance briefing: provides you with tips for adapting to the country's business culture.
3. Accompaniment: our economic attachés and project managers will assist you on a permanent basis.
4. Facilitating contacts: the mission gives you access to local authorities, decision-makers and potential partners.
5. B2B meetings: set up by our economic and commercial attachés, these meetings will offer unique opportunities to introduce your products to targeted prospects.
6. Seminars with the business world: to help you discover the best opportunities for exporting.
7. Visits to local companies: they will put you in touch directly with the people in the field.
8. Official dinners and networking receptions: they develop your network of business relationships.
9. Group dynamics: a trade mission is also a group atmosphere that can stimulate exporters. An exchange of tips among Belgian companies often helps to skip a few steps. Sometimes partnerships can even develop among complementary businesses.
10. Follow-up guaranteed: back in Brussels, you can continue to count on the support of our area managers and our economic and commercial attachés posted in the target country. They will help you after the mission is over, offering their services free of charge!
To find out about our trade missions, please consult our 2016 Action Plan (FR)